Blue Engineering and Consulting (BLUE) is an engineering and consulting firm which specializes in Liquefied Natural Gas (LNG) facility design, siting, compliance, and safety. Our consultants work on numerous LNG projects across all phases of development. BLUE works for some of the largest development corporations in the world as well as some of the smallest private developers, showing the ability to be highly flexible and consistently deliver high quality work products on time and within budget.
We are looking for an energetic, highly motivated, and well-qualified consultant to join our team as a Fire Protection Engineer (FPE) at our offices in Ellicott City, MD.
You will join a team of engineers who work on a wide range of exciting and challenging projects. You will be working in a team environment with a premium placed on client and peer-to-peer interaction. You can expect to be a part of an energy-filled workplace at a successful and growing company. We employ an open-door policy and encourage employees to think outside the box. We are an equal opportunity employer.
The Fire Protection Engineer will work collaboratively with other disciplines to support our team. A successful candidate will:
- Perform fire protection evaluations for new and existing hydrocarbon processing facilities, with a strong focus on LNG facilities (occasional travel required).
- Develop flame and gas detection layouts using performance-based design principles over prescriptive methods.
- Design plant fire water systems and perform hydraulic calculations to specify fire water tanks, fire pumps, and other system components.
- Specify fire extinguishing systems using dry chemicals and clean agents, as well as other special hazard systems.
- Coordinate emergency response and training for plant personnel and local emergency responders.
- Perform hazard modeling for thermal radiation exposure from fires and flammable/toxic vapor dispersion from accidental releases.
- Learn additional facets of the LNG project lifecycle such as:
- Design engineering (Process Flow Diagrams, Heat and Material Balances, Piping and Instrumentation Diagrams)
- Process safety (Process Hazard Analysis- HAZID, HAZOPs)
- Federal regulatory and permitting requirements (including facility siting studies, building siting studies, and other quantitative risk assessments)
- Assist with ad hoc projects as assigned by managers.
- Bachelor's or Masters of Science in Fire Protection Engineering or related degree from an ABET accredited program.
- Minimum 3 years of engineering and/or consulting experience preferred.
- EIT/FE certification in Fire Protection Engineering or licensed Professional Engineer
- Basic understanding of the use and application of Computational Fluid Dynamics (CFD) for fire scenarios preferred.
- Basic knowledge of building codes, fire codes, NFPA standards, FM Global datasheets, military standards, and refinery/industrial API guidelines a plus.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
- Ability to work methodically and analytically in a quantitative problem-solving environment and demonstrated critical thinking skills.
- Proficient computer skills (e.g., Microsoft Office Suite).
- Strong attention to detail, facilitation, team building, collaboration, organization, and problem-solving skills.
- Demonstrated leadership skills and ability to work independently with minimal oversight.
- Candidates must be legally authorized to work in the United States on a full-time basis without requiring future sponsorship for employment visa status.
The candidates must reside in the US and have a valid passport. A background check and drug test may be required as a term of employment.
Applications will be reviewed and received until the position is filled. To apply or learn more about BLUE, please Contact Us: BlueTeam@BlueEandC.com